When I first starting to eat less meat, I wanted something hearty and warm for a cold winters night. Also, as a plus, Beck LOVES these little wheels of goodness.
Time: 45 min
1 medium-large eggplant
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
1/2 cup regular bread crumbs
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp dried oregano
1 jar of your favorite pasta sauce
1/2 bag of shredded mozzarella
2 zucchini spiralized (or pasta of your choice)
Parmesan for sprinkling
1. Peel and slice eggplant into 1/4inch rounds.
2. Fill a bowl with cold salt water and soak eggplant slices for a minimum of 30 min. (You can do this step at any point of your day!)
3. When you’re ready to start cooking preheat your oven to 450
4. Mix together breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, and oregano in a separate bowl- give it a taste and add more if you please
5. In another bowl beat 2 eggs with a fork
6. Drain eggplant, and place on paper towel, use another paper towel and press on top of slices to ensure they’re dry
7. Next take a baking sheet and spray with cooking spray
8. Now it’s time to start dredging the eggplant. Take one slice at a time, dip into egg mixture giving it a thin coat, then dip into breadcrumb mixture and arrange on baking sheet. Repeat until all slices have been dredged and on the baking sheet
9. Bake for 12 minutes then flip and bake another 10-12 minutes
10. Next use a spoon to add pasta sauce then cheese to each wheel
11. Broil til cheese is bubbling and slightly browned
12. Plate by heating your zoodles and remaining sauce and serving with a few slices of the eggplant
Top with red pepper flakes and cheese. You can also make the eggplant ahead of time and simply broil them or put them in an air fryer to crisp them up before serving. Yum!
Beautiful tribute Alyssa!
I was first introduced to these as a child, by our Lithuanian Grandma & mother. We would spread them with…